Friday, November 3, 2017

Kellan

Kellan,

You're 7 years old and in first grade. I just got your picture re-takes sent to me today and I have spent the last half an hour crying over how grown up your look (I know this doesn't surprise you!). You had to have re-takes this year because right before you got your picture taken the first time you decided it would be a good idea to style your hair into a mohawk...except you didn't have a mirror, or any hair product so it just ended up looking like you rolled out of bed! :)

Andy and I are just so proud of the young man you are growing up to be. You received the Trustworthy award this month at school. Only two kids from each class are chosen per month, so this is a special award. You also received the award twice last year as well. Your teachers and  Mr. Vogel always tell us how respectful you are to teachers at school and what a great listener and role model you are.  Your reading and math continues to be above grade level. You don't enjoy reading for fun, but we have started letting you stay up later after we tuck you in so you can read and that has gotten you reading more at home which is great! 

You conquered a big fear of yours over the past year and a half - swimming. When we started you in swim lessons at Rob Knight you had to have semi-private lessons because you were so nervous about going underwater. As of last month we let you stop doing swim lessons because you can swim so well and even have your front crawl and back stroke down pat. Swimming lessons weren't your favorite activity so we decided you could pick something new. Tae Kwon Do is your new activity that you started this month. You have it twice a week for an hour each time and are the youngest in your class. Your first few classes you were very nervous but gave it your all and Master Sosa even recognized you for having such a positive attitude and sticking with it when you were in a class with so many black belts. 

Your favorite things right now are:
Food: Pancakes, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin seeds, quesadillas, eggs and sausage
Friends: Braden, Kylee and Barrett, Avery
Books: Diary of a Wimpy Kid and the Mouse on a Motorcycle series, The Bearenstein Bears
Shows: Alvin and The Chipmunks, The Loud House

You and I butt heads more often these days now that you have such strong opinions of your own. It's a learning curve for me as I try to find the best way to take your opinions into consideration while still teaching you to respect my authority as your parent. 
Things that you would like that we won't allow right now:
1. a TV in your room
2. your own cell phone
3. your own you tube channel that you can create videos for
#meanmom

Since you are getting older I thought it was time to have you help out around the house a bit more. You have started doing your own laundry and are very responsible about making sure you get it into the washer before school and switch it to the dryer when you get home. We are still working on you actually putting it away "right" and I should say that I have had to adjust my standards of what "right" looks like, but even then you still have to re-do putting away your laundry a couple times each week when I can tell you just threw it in a drawer or on your closet floor. My hope is that you will realize that doing something to the best of your ability the FIRST time is actually a whole lot easier. We are about a month into this laundry adventure though and you haven't come to that conclusion yet, so we shall see. :)

One other memory I don't want to forget is your ability right now to make up a song on the spot. A couple of weeks ago we were driving home and you started seeing a song about God. It was really good and even had rhyming words at the end of each line so I figured you had learned it at church. I asked you about it and you said you had just made it up and that often times at night before you went to bed you liked to do that and sing them to yourself. I had no clue! So you then sang me another, different song, that you made up on the spot the rest of the way home. You did let me record the audio so I have some of them to keep. It was the sweetest surprise to hear you singing about God, and all the people from the Bible that you know and stories that relate to each of them. 

I wanted to take time to write down just a bit of what this time in your life looks like before I blink and it's over and I can't remember all these little details. I love you Buddy and seeing your school picture today just reminded me how quickly time is passing and how precious these years at home with you are. I know you are going to do amazing things and I can't wait to have a front row seat and watch you fly.

Love you forever,

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment